So here's a question from a few years ago that touches on pain while exercising. There are good answers, and it's great content for our site.

Here's another from just now, that is already gathering the close votes because "you should go see a doctor."

Sometimes there are legitimate medical issues going on and people really should go see a competent provider. But anyone who's been training for a while knows that a core aspect of training is knowing your body, and one of the major ways your body speaks to you is through pain and discomfort.

A big part of physical fitness is knowing what and how to work with some types of pain. I feel like we're really knee-jerk kicking everything out these days the minute "pain", "discomfort", or "weird feeling" shows up.

There's just no way that every fit person is seeing a doctor every time they have a light muscle strain, etc.

  • Most of the fit people I know aren't going to doctors unless they are dragging the bleeding stump behind them. :p
    – JohnP Mod
    Sep 1, 2015 at 17:47
  • It's a bit ironic, considering your vote on this
    – Just Do It
    Nov 7, 2015 at 15:20

1 Answer 1


Agreed. Although I personally think that only questions on exercising with the injury are on-topic versus "I was lifting weights and now I'm coughing up blood, what should I do?"

Good Questions (in my mind)

  • When I'm running, I sometimes get a pain in my side. Is this normal?
  • I'm having trouble getting my leg behind my head without severe groin cramping. Is there any trick to make this easier?
  • I have a huge blister on my foot. The pain is manageable, but should I keep running on it?
  • Shortage of breath - is this a sign of overtraining?

Bad Questions

  • I was lifting yesterday and now I've got rectal bleeding. Should I see a doctor?
  • I'm a runner. My stomach has hurt ever since I had some bad shrimp last night. What should I do?
  • I'm racked with pain every time I try to put weight on my right foot. Is my foot broken?
  • Anyone know of a good chiropractor in the Estonian area?

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .