There have been a couple of questions recently regarding websites and software on the main site that I interpret as being off topic. Namely these two questions:
- Body animation - Asking for a software package that can be used to do body animations for exercise demonstration
- Website/PDF of examples - Asking for a catalog of exercises with images
The way that I look at them is that they are not really on topic, as they do not fit in what we consider to be on topic (From the help section):
- improving your exercise performance or technique
- choosing a training program
- nutrition as it relates to exercise
- gear and gadgets used during exercise
- achieving physique milestones
- injury prevention
I bolded the one that they might fall under. However, the first one (in my opinion) does not enable the average user to improve their program. Knowing that there is an animator still relies on someone to use that animator to create exercise demonstrations, and that is also reliant on the skill and understanding of the person doing the programming. The end product might be helpful/on topic in an answer, but the process and the tool(s) are not on topic.
For the second, I am on the fence about this question, leaning towards either off topic or possibly a community wiki of good reference sites. Again, just knowing that it is there is not really useful in and of itself, there is a program context that is lacking.
I'd like some feedback on this, with reasons why you do or do not think that the questions are on topic.